A Workmen’s Compensation policy covers the financial liability of an employer when its employee suffers from any physical injury during the course of his/her employment. The policy helps the employer cover his financial liabilities as stated under the Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923. Hence, it is important to know how to file a claim under Workmen Compensation Insurance, since it extends coverage to the employer when the workers suffer from any of the below consequences:–
- Permanent total disablement
- Permanent partial disablement
- Temporary total disablement
Moreover, most Workmen’s Compensation plans also provide coverage for the legal costs incurred by the employer.
Additional Read – Why do I need Workmen Compensation Policy?
How to register a claim with the Workmen Compensation insurance company?
Employers insured by a workmen compensation policy should follow the below-mentioned steps. The process below is a necessary step to help employers register a claim with their chosen insurance company.
- Inform the insurer if there is an accident that is likely to result in a worker’s claim
- Inform the insurance company if a worker approaches the worker courts for compensation, under any of the regulatory provisions.
- Contact the supervisor present at the premises of a manufacturing facility immediately at the time of the accident. Besides, document the accident circumstances and statements carefully.
- Fill up the claim form and provide relevant documents pertaining to the claim. Submit the claim to your insurance company or broker.
- A notice, if sent by the workmen commission, should be submitted to the insurance company.
- Insurance companies would arrange for an inspection of the claim
- Following the inspection, the inspector would file a report based on which the insurance company would pay the claim.
- Insurers will begin supporting and paying for the costs as the court discusses the case, and much before giving an award.
Additional requirements for registering a claim under the WC Insurance policy
An employer needs to submit all the bills relating to the claim to the insurance company along with the following documents –
- A declaration report
- Any claim-related report required by the insurance company
- All medical bills relating to a disability suffered along with a medical certificate stating the reason for disability and its expected duration.
- In the case of permanent disabilities, an agreement paper between the employer and disabled workman needs to execute. It is important as per the rules laid down under the Workmen’s Compensation Act. A medical certificate certifying the disability would also be required.
- In case of death of the workman, additional documents would be required by the insurance company such as a copy of the death certificate, a copy of the post-mortem report, witness statements if they are available, copy of police FIR.Form A of the Workmen’s Compensation Act which should be filled in and signed either by the insurance company or by the employer
The right process to file Workmen Compensation Insurance Claim
The employer should follow the claim process properly. Furthermore, they should submit all the above-mentioned relevant and required documents pertaining to the claim so that the Workmen’s Compensation policy pays the liability faced by the employer. Following the right claim process will ensure that the claim turnaround time is low, and settle the claims at the earliest. Approach your intermediary to seek more information. The advantage of working with an experienced insurance broker is that they will support you through the entire claims process.