Group Health Insurance

Sidebar_image1 Sidebar_image1 Sidebar_image1
1 3 2 4 5 6
Sidebar_image1 Sidebar_image1 Sidebar_image1

As an organization contemplating group medical coverage (GMC), you might have encountered different types of endorsement methods. This post helps to make sense of these endorsement methods.

Insurers frequently use two types of endorsements methods in the case of group medical insurance:


As the name suggests, pro-rata means proportionate. In this endorsement method, the insurer charges a premium only for the number of days a member is enrolled in the policy. Once a member leaves the group, the insurer refunds the premium for the number of days remaining in the policy.

To better understand how pro-rata works, let us look at an example. Let us assume that the annual premium for an employee is Rs 10,000.

Group insurance providers follow the pro-rata scale when an employee joins a group or the insurer decides to terminate the insurance. So, if an employee joins after six months in 12-month insurance, then the premium they pay will be 50%, which is Rs 5,000. Similarly, if the insurer decides to close insurance after nine months, they will refund three months of premium, that is, Rs 2,500.

Short-period scale

The short-period scale penalizes the early closure of insurance. Its aim is to reduce the policy loss ratio. This is because the risk is not distributed equally during the policy tenure. Also, typically, the insurer receives closure requests when loss ratios are over 100%. Thus, the closure of a policy before the date of expiry will result in a fine. Different insurers calculate the fine differently.

A representation of the short-period endorsement scale in group medical insurance:

Covered for (number of days) Percentage of premium (%)
X > 300 100
240 < X < 300 90
180 < X < 240 80
120 < X < 180 70
90 < X < 120 60
60 < X < 90 50
30 < X < 60 40
X < 30 25
Note: X = number of days the policy is in force

This is one possible short-scale but variations of this also exist.

Let us use the same example as above to understand how short-scale works. Here, we assume that the client makes a request to terminate the insurance after nine months, i.e., 270 days. Then, as per the short-scale above, they will get only 10% of their premium back and the insurer will retain the remaining 90%. An individual member premium of Rs 10,000, means that the client will get Rs 1,000, while the insurer will retain Rs 9,000. This is one possible short-scale but variations of this also exist.

This short-scale operates across most commercial insurances if the customer asks for closure. In some cases, the insurer may agree to a pro-rata refund, but the group must clarify this before purchasing the insurance.

About The Author

Mayank Sharma 

MBA Finance

He is a professional who brings extensive knowledge and expertise to the field of group health insurance. He has dedicated 7years to helping individuals and businesses navigate the complexities of insurance. Having worked closely with numerous clients and insurance providers, he deeply understands the nuances of group health insurance policies. With a reputation for providing insightful and informative content, he leverages his industry experience to educate readers about the importance of group health insurance and its benefits. Through their articles, Mayank Sharma aims to empower individuals and businesses to make informed decisions about their healthcare coverage, ultimately promoting healthier and more secure communities.