Following steps should be taken to file a claim under building insurance:
Step 1: Inform the Company: Notify your insurance company. You must not try to undo the damage yourself if you have an insurance which covers the damage that you have suffered. Next, one must prevent further damage. If you move, your property you may be at the risk of having your claim denied. The company has the right to question you about the incident and investigate the cause of damage.
Step 2: Documents:
- Burglary/theft/ or any criminal activity: In this case, one must inform the police because the company would demand so. A copy of the FIR is also required in special cases for example- murder.
You need to act immediately if the potential damage is too high. It would also be in your best interest to submit an evidence to support your claim. Many companies require just filling out a form but many others involve long communication before any action can be taken. This could obviously take a while but one should be patient to avail the damage cost of the loss.
- Proof of ownership might also need to be submitted according to the terms and conditions of the policy. If your policy covers contents as well then you might need to show your receipts to the company. After the documents, have been surveyed you are entitled to the cash.
Making a claim on partially damaged house:
- Inform the company with a duly attested filled form with a fair estimate of the repairing work. Do not undertake any repairing work because this may lead to a denial of your claim.
- A surveyor will assess the damage done to your house and prepare the damage report.
- The insurer will either accept or reject the claim based on the report.
- After your claim, has been accepted, the surveyor will re-visit your house and make a report of the cost of repair.
- A cheque will be sent to you at your postal address.
Click here to know what is covered under building insurance
Case on Claim Filing for Building Insurance
Mr. Sanjay lived in a beautiful house with his wife and children. He was a software engineer and had to stay at the office for the better part of the day. His wife who was a teacher began her day at nine in the morning.
The house was empty. One afternoon, on returning after school hours, Kavita found the door ajar. Upon entering, she noticed a few things were missing. The walls were broken and there was a fire in the kitchen, she panicked and called the police. Meanwhile she had to move things about to stop the fire from spreading. Her actions saved the house from major loss. But it was later assessed that they had lost possessions worth Rs. 40,000.
After Kavita and Sanjay had filed the FIR and police enquiries were over, they called the insurance company to file the claim.
The insurer sent an assessment officer to assess the loss and after completing the documentation reimbursed the loss to the couple.