Inland transit marine insurance policy plays a crucial role by covering any loss or damage to the policyholder’s goods like raw materials, machinery, etc. during transit as per the contract. It offers cover to the policyholder’s business goods or personal belongings which are being transported by land. Further, as per the requirement, it is feasible to categorize inland transit insurance coverage in marine insurance under the following heads:
- Basic Risk Cover: It includes losses or damages which are caused to the consignment by various perils like collision, fire, lightning, etc.
- All Risk Cover: It covers a wide range of risks which can cause various losses or damages to specific goods.
Here, it is essential to note that inland transit insurance coverage only includes those goods which are being transported by land, like trucks, goods, trains, etc. It means sea and aerial modes of transports are not covered under the policy. Usually, the policy offers coverage for goods which are being transported domestically.
Further, it is feasible to divide inland transit coverage in marine insurance under different heads, namely:
- Overnight Vehicles Cover: It is apt for those businessmen who may require their goods to be stored at night mostly in a vehicle. While some insurers include the cover in their basic marine insurance plan, others charge an extra premium for this coverage.
- Comprehensive Policy for Multiple Vehicles: It is possible to insure multiple vehicles under a single marine insurance cover. This policy is appropriate for you if you are using multiple vehicles for transporting goods.
- Goods in transit (carrier’s) Cover: In those situations, where a third-party is involved in carrying goods, the carrier may not take responsibility for any loss or damage if it happens. Covering such liability through this insurance cover is feasible.
Inland transit marine coverage in a marine insurance policy is apt for those small and medium-sized business owners who do not require to import or export their goods globally. The policy can also be purchased by farmers to safeguard goods being transported in their own vehicles. The policy covers all types of goods, including finished goods, machinery and raw materials.
Inland transit coverage in marine insurance would become effective from the time the goods leave the storage place or warehouse and would get terminated as soon as the delivery is made. Also, the inland transit insurance cover would remain active in those situations where there is a deviation, delay or forced discharge which is beyond the policyholder’s control.
Additional Read: For what Duration Do Inland Transit Insurance Clauses apply?
Since 2010, K.Y Engineering has established a name for itself in the engineering sector. The company enjoys a wide spread of clients. As various risks can arise during transportation of goods, the company is looking for a way to get coverage in case something untoward happens.
As K.Y Engineering has its clients situated in different parts of India, it is essential for K.Y Engineering to purchase inland transit coverage in marine insurance to get protection in case something goes wrong.
K.Y Engineering can buy inland transit coverage to get financial coverage in case a misfortune happens. Here, the policy would offer coverage against total loss, partial loss and related expenses when the goods are in inland transit. As the company deals only domestically, the inland transit coverage is an apt choice for it which would cover it against various perils like lightning, fire, etc.
As K.Y Engineering often transports goods by taking the help of a third party, therefore, at the time of buying the inland transit cover, the company should disclose this fact to the insurer and opt for goods in transit insurance cover. This insurance policy would help in covering that loss or damages as well, which may arise if you have used a third-party carrier.
In a situation where you have used a third-party carrier, you can’t hold the third-party responsible for any loss or damage which may arise. You can opt for inland transit insurance cover which would help in covering third-party losses and damages as well.
Additional Read: Who can buy Marine Insurance?