It’s high time to re-frame our approach to sleep because it is the first thing we sacrifice when our life gets busy. Getting enough sleep is quintessential to improve our quality of life. Stress, age, the fast-paced living are several factors that trigger insomnia. In order to deal with insomnia, try to maintain the healthy lifestyle and try the following five regimes:
1. Maintain good sleeping hygiene: It is important to maintain a comfortable sleep environment. Avoid excessive bright light, noise, and hot temperature in the bedroom. To induce sleep, turn off all the devices. Soothing music, soaking in the warm bath, mindfulness meditation practices can be useful if you find yourself struggling to fall asleep. A comfortable pillow and bedding add value to these practices as sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress can rob you of up to an hour’s sleep per night. Keep your room clean, dark and cool overnight. Disconnect Wi-Fi at night while going to sleep. Take time to relax before bedtime each night.
2. Eat sleep-friendly food: Imbibe nightly rituals of drinking warm milk or eating nutmeg which is sleep-friendly food. Dinner should be at least two hours before bedtime. Do not eat or drink just before going to bed. Avoid excessive intake of caffeine and alcohol as it disrupts sleep architecture. Eat fibre-rich food to sleep better. Following a healthy diet can do wonders and aids in maintaining a better lifestyle which indirectly affects your sleep positively.
3. Meditation and Exercise daily: Muscle relaxation exercises such as stretching improve the quality of sleep. Meditation is a proactive tool to fight against insomnia and depression. It provides calmness and peace of mind which helps in avoiding wakefulness. Getting enough physical activity during the day may lead to better quality sleep. A 20-minute walk also works well if you do not have enough time to go to the gym. Schedule workouts at least three hours before bedtime.
4. Yoga Nidra Therapy: This therapy provides a state of effortless sleep and involves lying on your back, breathing evenly and consciously focusing on relaxing each part of your body. Yoga Nidra Therapy is a healing tool to decrease the level of stress and discomfort. It is the supreme level of relaxation. It is one of the profound meditation techniques which provides successful results and helps to beat insomnia as it provides deep inner peace. It is a stress buster leading to the calmness of soul, body and mind. It helps in fighting anxiety and depression.
5. Cognitive Therapy: This theory is used to treat insomnia without the help of medication. One can start practising cognitive theory and get rid of sleeping pills. It is a program that helps you reschedule your sleeping hours by changing your thoughts and helps in eliminating negative thoughts. If you have been facing sleep problems for a long time, it is better to opt for cognitive therapy as it does not have any side effects and it provides lasting results.