Yes, you need a workmen compensation insurance policy, even if you have fewer employees. The fact is that any business working with either part-time or full-time is vulnerable to lots of expenses if its employees become sick. Even if your business is statutorily exempt from buying coverage, you should properly weigh all the catastrophic costs of not buying the insurance against the savings which you will otherwise make by not buying it.
One claim for a serious injury caused to a worker could bankrupt your business, and therefore, it makes sense to go with a workmen compensation insurance policy which gives legal liability coverage to you as an employer.
A workmen compensation insurance plan offers various benefits to injured workers to make up for lost wages that may arise due to an accident or injury in the workplace. It is a boon for both employees and employers. It gives employees several benefits which help in motivating them and thus, also curtail attrition. Similarly, employers can also protect themselves from the legal liability that may arise due to the injury of workers.
Let’s understand the workmen compensation insurance policy in detail –
Mainly, a workers’ compensation insurance policy has two parts – Part One: Workers Compensation and Part Two: Employers’ Liability
- In the case of Part One, the insurance company pays whatever the compensation is as per the Workmen Insurance Act. Unlike other insurance policies, here, the worker compensation coverage has no ceiling limit on the policy amount. It means, the employer’s entire statutory obligation, i.e.; the compensation that has to pay as per the Act is transferred to the insurer.
- In the case of Part Two, the insurance policy offers coverage to an employer against the claim raised by the employee for work-related bodily injury or illness that may arise in the workplace.
“Part Two” of the policy provides coverage for an employer who is sued by an employee for work-related bodily injury or illness that isn’t subject to state statutory benefits.
In certain situations, the employers’’ liability also offers coverage to an employer and one such is called third-party over suits. It means an injured worker files the legal case against someone who later on hold the employer responsible for the accident. For instance, an employee gets injured at the workplace while working with a machine and files the case against the machine manufacturer who later sues the employer claiming that the accident was caused due to modifications in the machine.
Here are some of the events covered under workmen insurance policy –
- Injuries caused at workplace
- Occupational ailments
- Workplace accidents
- Medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Lawsuits filed by injured workers
In most of the cases, on-the-job injuries are covered by workers’ compensation insurance policy on a no-fault basis. It means benefits are paid regardless of who is to blame for the accident or injury. It means the employer doesn’t admit the responsibility of the accident and the compensation is paid to the worker without having to sue. However, there may be certain exceptions as well. For instance, coverage may not be given in case the injury is caused when the employee violates the company’s policy.
Accidents occur outside the workplace are covered
In certain cases, as an employer, you are not liable to pay compensation for those accidents which happen outside the workplace. However, there are certain situations when accidents occur outside the workplace are covered –
- Business trip
- Attending a business event
While, many business owners consider workmen compensation insurance as the expense only, however, the reality is that this policy can safeguard you from litigation which may arise when an employee gets injured or meets with an accident.
In case you want to lower the number of claims and premium of the workmen compensation insurance policy, here are some of the ways through which you can do so –
- Carefully accessing the work atmosphere by investigating how safe office equipments are or whether they need to be repaired or replaced
- Creating a safe working atmosphere by imparting training to employees on the workplace safety and offering updates and giving useful tips on accident-free work
- Making suitable provisions so that injured workers can rejoin the office as soon as possible
- Starting an employee wellness program which should bolster the healthy working life and fitness as it will help in reducing the number of injuries on the job
In 2016, the Lok Sabha passed the Employees Compensation (Amendment) Bill, which increased the compensation amount paid to the worker or their dependents from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh in case of workplace injury.
Overall, every business owner should buy a workmen compensation insurance policy if they want to protect themselves from the legal liability that may arise due to injury caused to workers. In most of the cases, buying a workers’ compensation insurance policy is in your best interests.
How to buy a workmen compensation insurance policy?
In today’s internet driven world, it is feasible to buy workmen compensation insurance policy right from the comfort of your home with the help of SecureNow. By entering a few details about your requirements, rider, if any, etc.; you can obtain insurance quotes from leading insurers and then choose the right policy accordingly. The most important feature of SecureNow is that it not only helps in buying the best workers’ compensation insurance plan, in fact, it also helps at the time of claim settlement. Moreover, for your every query, you can contact the experts at SecureNow.
Indeed, buying the insurance policy has become much easy and flexible with SecureNow.
If you want to buy the policy just click here
[cta id=”3894″ vid=”0″]